Monday, October 1, 2012

My Adventures in Power Armor

I've been torn in many different directions lately due to the advent of 6th edition and not really knowing which direction I want to go with it.

A visual representation of my current situation...

*Warning Wall-O-Text Approaching*

Somewhat of a history lesson for those who aren't aware: I started playing somewhere between the release of the Tyranid and the Blood Angels 5th ed. codexes. Back then I played a very cobbled together Space Wolves army from random Codex Marine models and Black Reach Marines... a Land Speeder, a Predator... I think it came Auto-Las, but I swapped the Lascannons for Heavy Bolter sponsons... (Co-incidentally, I just stripped Voja [the affore mentioned Predator] because I realized I had no room for a Predator when I regularly spam Long Fangs.) and some bikers of ill-repute... I ended up trading them away for a Dreadnought.

Eventually, I switched to Vanilla Marines... the Copper Dragons. In so doing, I... reallocated... most of the infantry models from my Space Wolves (I'll be the first to admit they weren't very wolfy) to the Coppers. This left me with very little desire to play my Wolves for quite a while. I had a Space Wolves Battleforce and a crap ton of really old (like 2nd edition old) space wolf models I got off craigslist on the super-cheap, but I just couldn't bring myself to sit down and paint them. I've been slowly working on them recently... but that is mostly due to me wanting to use them in the Winter Escalation League at BKG. I'm still not 100% sure I want to participate... but I'm trying to want to, really, I am.

Aside from that, I had a crazy urge (about a month before 6th hit) to strip some of my Copper Dragons (in this case, the same Black Reach Tacticals and Terminator squad I once had as Space Wolves... they just keep switching armies...) and paint them as Crimson Fists. I love the paint scheme, but I've decided that I'd never actually play the army and have thus nixed the idea. But now I have a small handful of Power Armored models in the Grey Limbo, unsure of where I want them to go...

Then came the ridiculousness that is Dark Vengeance (Fun Fact... the Dark Angels have named patterns for their tactical squad loadouts... and the tactical squad in the boxed set is, in fact, the "Vengeance" pattern.) and Eric bought one of the Limited edition ones, for the rulebook, no less, and sold off everything else. (I think he still has the Terminator squad and the Chaos Chosen...) I bought the Vengeance Squad and the Ravenwing Bikers from him and decided I wanted to try and start some sort of Plasma Spam army... All things considered, I was already well on my way. The only real question is: do I want to do by-the-book Dark Angels or do I want to go Homebrew Chapter (The Reapers) on them, too.

Then after all of that... Titans. One of the locals wants to do the Badab War Campaign out of IA:9&10, and I want so desperately to field at least a War Maniple (A group of 5 Titans, 2 Reavers and 3 Warhounds) of Legio Crucius for the final Battle of Badab Primaris (In the book they actually had three War Maniples in the battle... but I'm not totally bat-crap crazy.) Unfortunately, that would require me to A.) Buy that many Titans from Forgeworld, which is a resounding NO! or B.) scratch build them... the Warhounds I could do, I've done them before in paper so making the leap to Plasticard wouldn't be a huge deal [from what I've heard most of the build is easier in Plasticard], but the Reavers I haven't done, and that would be a... "New and Exciting" experience for me.

Just in case you were wondering...

Also, the upcoming Badab Campaign has made me want to continue working on the Copper Dragons (standing in as the Salamanders, in this case) even though they ended up being a... less than competitive army. I don't really know where I went/go wrong with them... maybe I'm too cautious, maybe I really do suck at rolling the dices. I dunno, but since 6th I haven't really wanted to do anything more with them, but now with Badab coming up, maybe I do. If I add anything, I think paper tanks are in order... just not sure which to do first. Might buy one of the new Chaos Heldrakes and do some de-chaos-ifying and have it count as a Storm Raven holding Blood Angels allies (which would also be modeled and painted Copper Dragons...)

TL;DR:

Long story short I have... a half a dozen or so projects I want to work on (The Hounds of Hel, the Copper Dragons, the Dark Angels/Reapers, what to do with the Crimson Fists models I painted, the Legio Crucius, all that on top of various professional endeavors...) and I have no friggin' clue where to start...

Vaya con Dios,
Timothy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...