Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Whirly-mah-gig

I've been meaning to make a series of posts about some of the random kit-bashes that I tend to do when I'm all delirious-like and such. I've pondered the idea of making a Whirlwind Launcher for a while, and I had a bunch of Chaos Space Marine Havoc Launchers sitting around, but I didn't really have anything that I could use to mount them to a Rhino Chassis and look even remotely convincing... except I totally did and didn't realize it.

This kitbash starts off with the round mounting plate that Razorback turrets build on (in my case, I stole a very similar part from a Drop Pod.) then you glue one of the long landing gears from a Storm Raven to it... but first you need to remove the weird part at the end that sockets into the Storm Raven... see picture below.

After the landing gear is glue in and sturdy, glue a Havoc Launcher on each side at the top (alternatively, you can magnetize them so they can rotate.) Once all that is dry, glue any random vehicle sensor bits you may have lying around on, I put mine on the top, YMMV... I used one from the Shadowsword kit, anything with the little lenses will likely work.

The mounting plate... the two gaps in the top are filled in on the Drop Pod version.

Here's the landing gear I was talking about...

Un-assembled Havoc Launcher
Finished product...

Tried to get a decent shot of the auger bit on the top.

Seems a bit tall compared to the rest of the Rhino it is mounted on, but I wanted to represent the Hyperios Whirlwind (the AA missiles one) and I'd imagine an AA battery in firing mode would look similarly extended. 

Vaya con Dios,
Timothy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...