Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Dragons' Demise

This is a post formalizing my abandonment of the Copper Dragons Space Marine chapter. I'm keeping the Dreadnought, the five man Shooty-nator squad with a Heavy Flamer, My Vulkan conversion, and the Black Reach Captain as mementos, but everything else is getting stripped and repainted in a new, somewhat generic color scheme (Black Primary, Gold Trim, and Purple Secondary). I may name the chapter, maybe not.



The keepers.

This decision has been brewing in my mind for quite a while... even as far back as 5th edition. I really didn't start out with the Copper Dragons with the intention that they would be slightly-different-Salamanders. That's pretty much how things ended up, and unfortunately, it seemed to stem from the paint scheme I used. This is totally a "me" thing and not being able to divorce myself from the concept that the green marines need to pack melta/flamers to a fault.

And a fault it was, because Codex Marines really, really, really don't like being in melta/flamer range, because that also means they are in their enemies' assault range. Codex marines really don't like being in assault, and I mean hate on a level reserved for... well I don't even know what to compare it to, that much. This was intensified by a growing dependence on Vulkan (or in my case, counts as Vulkan...) which proved doubly detrimental in that he both reinforced the melta/flamer dependence and removed the best thing marines have going for them in that range... Combat Tactics. The under-rated-ness of Combat tactics still amazes me, especially considering they auto rally via ATSKNF (which is even better now in 6th...)

So, all that said, here is where I close the chapter of the Copper Dragons, just to open the next chapter of my 40k hobby experience. Here's hoping it's more awesome.

Vaya con Dios,
Timothy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...