Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Last Game of 5th Ed. (Probably)

Out with the Old...
I played my last game of 5th Edition 40k Saturday, which happened to also be 
the last game at the Battle Barn. I'm sad to see it go, but I understand why it had to. Plus, now I don't have to feel disloyal for going to one of the many gaming stores that just opened up in the area. It was a fun game, with me playing Copper Dragons (Salamanders+Blood Angels) and my opponent (Eric) fielding a Wildrider Host (Eldar Jetbike Horde). I really didn't think I had a chance with that matchup, but I ended up not doing too badly, over all. I did realize, with the help of Jeff (the guy who owns the Barn), that I'm not very good at making tactical decisions on the fly... I'm pretty sure it is a flaw in my ability to prioritize targets appropriately.


Fortunately for me, Eric made a video battle report of the whole thing. Unfortunately for me, I lost, despite the coaching from Jeff. BTW, thanks, Jeff! It helped.

The video can be found here:
http://thewildriderhost.blogspot.com/2012/06/video-battle-report-eldar-vs-copper.html



I'm looking forward to 6th Edition and the myriad new possibilities that comes with it. Here's to 5th, the only iteration of 40k I've ever known, I probably won't miss you, except on the first half of the morning on the third Thursday of every other month.


Vaya con Dios,
Timothy

2 comments:

  1. So I watched Eric's battle report, which was rather well done, and I recall hearing Jeff giving you advice at the barn that night, but I didn't listen in enough to catch what it was. Any chance of a summation of some kind indicating what you did, or would have done, and what Jeff advised instead? I'm just curious as Target priority seems to be something a lot of people struggle with. Interestingly, I was thinking of target priority and focused fire in 40K compared to how we handle it in table top role playing games. Our whole group is usually really good at focusing on one enemy till it's dead, then moving on to the next. But I find in 40K I'm prone to shooting at a lot of different targets and thus leaving all of them on the board minus a few wounds, instead of wiping one unit out at a time then moving on to the next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rolled the option to choose which side my Baal Predator could come on from, and wanted it to come in on the far side of the board to do a little bit of pincer-ing and trying to herd his bikers closer to me, but that was a bad idea due to the Fire Dragons Waveserpent sitting near there. I really wanted to kill off some of the Jetbikes (who don't get their save from the Flamestorm Cannon on the Baal.)

    Jeff suggested I use the Baal to come in on the other edge and burnanate the group of Dire Avengers. It did well enough, but could have done better had I used the Heavy Flamer. He also questioned why I'd let Eldar go first (because they really like having their powers up, and first turn gives them that.) First, I wouldn't be in range to do anything anyway, and second, I really like the ability to "Last turn land grab" by going second on objective missions.

    As for killing things off all at once, I tend to do similarly to you, though if I only have a single target for multiple units then it's gonna go down. I think I subconsciously justify it thinking that wearing down the targets before they hit my lines is better than killing off one or two of them. There's a bit of a balancing act involved, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...