Saturday, May 19, 2012

Big Kidz Games First Tournament

I went to my second tournament today, and I ended up getting Second overall. Unfortunately, only 6 guys showed up, but it was still fun. All told, there were two Tau Players Yancy and Mike...? (I could be wrong about that one) One Imperial Guard player, Joshua. One Chaos Space Marines player, Jeff Stone. And two Codex: Space Marines players... Aaron, who played Ultramarines and me, with Copper Dragons (Salamanders.)

Funny coincidence. Aaron had the only army that wasn't painted a shade of green. The CSM were quite Nurgley...

All games were played on a 4x4 board, and my list is as follows:
Vulkan, 10 man Tactical Squad with Meltagun & Multimelta in a Rhino x2, Landspeeder with Multimelta and Heavy Flamer x2 (Two groups of one Speeder.)

Round One: Copper Dragons vs Minions of Nurgle
Jeff had a Plaguebearer squad with plasma gun/pistols... can't really remember, a normal Chaos Space Marines squad also with plasma stuff, A rhino, a group of 5 Terminators with a Reaper Autocannon and a Termi-Lord with twin Lightning Claws.

Primary Objective: Control 2 or more (out of three) objectives
Secondary Objective: Keep your HQ Model Alive
Tertiary Objective: Bog standard Killpoints (whoever scored more got it.)

Special Rules: HQ starts with one more Wound

I made a huge mistake before the game even started that pretty much cost me getting the first place in the tourney. That mistake was declaring the "Hill" areas 4+ cover area terrain. I will never give Nurgle-ites a decent cover save again. This problem was compounded by the fact that all three objectives were near/on a hill in the center of the board. So the little Nurglies (now with Toughness 5!) camped them and I ended up not being able to shift them off the objectives in time. Also, the secondary/tertiary objectives combined with evil, evil little dice to make me lose that game by turn two. The Chaos Space Marine squad shot 4 bolters at Vulkan, got 6 hits, 4 wounds, and Vulkan promptly failed all of them. Bye bye Vulkan. I did kill all but one of the Terminator Squad. So there's that. Oh and my Paper Speeders did a really good job (when they finally showed up from reserves...)

All told, I scored 0 objectives, my opponent scored 2.



Round Two: Copper Dragons vs Ultramarines (Apparently they attacked Cuprum... judging from the (unfinished) Lava board we played on...)

Aaron had a Captain with Power sword and Plasma pistol, a Tactical Squad with Plasma Gun and Plasma Cannon, a Drop Pod, a 5 man Sniper Scout Squad with Telion, and a 10 man Sternguard squad one combi-melta, one combi-plasma.

Primary Objective: Control the Center Ruins.
Secondary Objective: Have more units within 6" of the center ruins than opponent
Tertiary Objective: Control the Objective in the opponent's table quarter.

Special Rules: No Deepstrike or reserves, Board wide difficult terrain for infantry, all infantry (including jump infantry) are scoring.

This battle went significantly better... as in "I Tabled my opponent for the first time" better. Not only did I table my opponent, I scored all three objectives. It was the only reason that I actually got second overall...
We both converged on the Ruins in the center of the board, the melta bunkers moved up, and the speeders split up, one to go cook Telion's Squad and one to go play with the half a tactical squad moving toward the ruins. Vulkan Melee'd the Sternguard and Captain across two turns of Assault Phases, I shot the tactical squads to pieces, and then last but not least Melta'd the drop pod off in the corner.


The UltraSmurfs...

My boxed up deployment.


What was left at the end...



My losses for the second Battle.
Round Three: Copper Dragons vs. Yancy's Light Green Tau

Yancy had all together too many Crisis/Broadside suits, and a couple Firewarrior squads.

Primary Objective: Control 2 out of 3 Objectives
Secondary Objective: Control your "Home Hill"
Tertiary Objective: Contest your opponent's "Home Hill"

Special Rules: Each player designates one Hill terrain piece as their "Home Hill", Treat one Elite/Heavy Support/Fast Attack choice as scoring, Nightfighting from turn 4 on.

Well. This battle disappointed me a little, but it was more because I really, really, really wanted to play Josh and his Imperial Guard. I ended up killing off all but four of Yancy's Suits (across three squads) and he still managed to tie on Objectives. Had the game gone to turn 6 I would probably have gotten my second combat squad to the objective marker securing for myself the primary, but alas, the battle was cut short by the roll of the die. The battle itself many borderline Lol-tastic moments. For example, Vulkan assaulted a 4 man Crisis Suit Squad, killed the drone(s) and wounded each suit. They failed their morale check, passed their initiative to break away and ran off the board three turns later. Or when Vulkan Heavy flamered 5 out of 6 members of a Firewarrior squad, the last Firewarrior passed his leadership, and then took 4 power weapon wounds to the face. Ridiculous. Oh and, Vulkan ate a Rail Slug from 6 inches away... can anyone say "red mist." The worst moment of the battle was most certainly when my Landspeeder (which I designated as Scoring as per the battle's special rule) deep strike mishapped to death. I was MAD.

All Told: 1 objective to 1 objective (both contesting each other's "Home Hill")

*NOTE TO SELF... USE "SNOW" MODE ON MY PHONE NEXT TIME. Flippin' bright white table...*


Turn one... everything went downhill from there...



My Survivors...

Yancy's Survivors

I had fun, and I got some decent prize money in store credit.

I want to take this time to publicly acknowledge Yancy, because A.) he placed third overall, and B.) he quite graciously gave me his prize money [ala store credit] so I could finally buy that box of Tyranid Gargoyles I've been eyeballin' for the last month or so. I will remember this, sir, I will remember.


In any case, Vaya con Dios,
Timothy

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to take photos, and write up a report. Does blogspot host your images as well, or do you need a separate site for them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogspot does all the work, but I'm not certain weather they actually host or have someone else do it. That said, adding pictures is easy. One little button on the top of the Write/Edit post pane called "Insert Image" makes a window pop up that lets you upload pics from your hard drive.

    I don't know if there is a cap to how many pics you can do at a time, but Eric has done about 30 in one post so there's definitely room to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to start a blog.. Just so I can bitch about 40K rules.. Do you hear me Multi-Assault and flamer rulez? You have not heard the last of me..

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Type of paper, or plastic card did you use for the Land SPeeders? I got some templates for a few th8ings and thought I'd try them out. Yours turned out so well I thought I'd ask.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ended up printing the templates directly onto 110 lb cardstock (buyable nearly everywhere you can buy printer paper...) then, any of the places that needed to be bulked up, I glued that part of the template to cereal box (though the boxes Games Workshop kits some in would work well too...)

    Are you planning on using Patoroch templates?

    Also, I plan to build me some Stormravens now that they are getting a massive price hike. I might even go the extra mile and build them out of plasticard. We shall see. Speaking of plasticard models, always build your first model (even if just to try it out, and know where everything fits together) out of paper. It's just a good policy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking about building a bunch of Rhino chassis maybe.. And or a bunch of landspeeders for a White Scars list.. Though I'm not sure I could stand the shame of playing Space Marines. The Rhino's would be various vehicles for my S.O.B... Who need about 3 exorcists, 3 immolators, and well, probably a bunch more immolators.. I actually considered building them out of bronze/brass type sheet metal.. I know a place with a laser cutter that could cut them.. not sure what the cost would be, but it would rock with the steampunkesque style I was considering for all my SOB vehicles..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I built a Whirly-ma-gig once... back when I thought they looked cool. The treads/trackpods on the Rhino Chassis are a beast to get looking right.

      Eli Patoroch has SOB tanks ready and rarin' to go... including the Repressor, Immolator, Exorcist, and Rhino.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...