Saturday, February 18, 2012

Battle Barn 02-17-12

I went to the Barn last night, and decided to play with the Coppers a little bit. I started the Coppers as more of an exercise in painting (with the side benefit of dabbling in another codex) but I'm starting to appreciate the difference in play compared to my Space Wolves. I've made the unfortunate (and major) mistake throughout my early days playing Coppers: They don't play anything like the Space Wolves, but that didn't stop me from trying.

Anyway...


Tonight I brought this list:
(155) Captain, Terminator Armor, Pair of Lightning Claws
(200) 10 man Tactical Squad, Flamer, Multimelta, Combi-Melta, Power Sword, Meltabombs
  (45) Rhino, Stormbolter
(115) 5 man Scout Squad, Hellfire Heavy Bolter, Camo Cloaks, Locator Beacon
(205) 5 man Terminator Squad, Heavy Flamer
(205) 5 man Terminator Squad, Heavy Flamer
(175) Venerable Dreadnought, Heavy Flamer
(165) Predator Annihilator
(235) 10 man Devastator Squad, Multimelta x4, Meltabombs

1500 Total

Yes, those are Sisters of Battle and Servitors in my Devastator Squad, thanks for noticing...

From the front.

I ended up playing two games last night. The first game I played was a rematch against Reese's Space Wolves and it ended horribly for me, very similarly to the first time I played against Reese, actually, but I am willing to blame the dice for this more than deployment or tactical errors on my part. The game ended up being Spearhead Deployment, and Capture and Control with (count 'em) 5 objectives. One in each deployment and then three along the center line of the table. My dice hated my stinking guts for this game. By all rights Einherjar *should* have did horrible, horrible things to Reese's Land Raider, which went on the delete all of my troops choices with its epic flamery flamers of DOOM! On a more positive note, neither of my Terminator Squads scattered and then subsequently deleted both of Reese's Long Fang squads. That was really cool. : )

The second game I played was against Eric of  http://thewildriderhost.blogspot.com/  he was a canny opponent, but because I knew he had Droppodding Death Company (and winning the roll off for the first turn decision...) I allowed him first turn and holed my entire force up in one small ruins. This game went as badly for Eric as the first game went for me, but again, I'm more willing to blame the dice for this game. I mean, I boltered Astorath the Grim to death... I felt bad. And relieved. And bad... That and he just kept rolling 1's for his dangerous terrain test with the Death Company. Also, the Terminators are apparently no longer *MADE OF FAIL!!!* as they have been in ages past, and pulled way more than their own weight this battle. I actually nearly tabled Eric, but alas, he had a 5 man Sniper Scouts Squad sitting in the far corner of the board. I'm still waiting for my first table.

All in all, I regret not having taken any pictures, or notes, but I took both these battles as less-than-serious, preferring to just focus on playing the game at hand. One thing I realized: The Coppers (at least when using the Space Marine Codex) are WAAAAAAAAAY more static and Defensive than I realized. Especially comparing them to the Space Wolves.

Vaya con Dios,
Timothy

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the plug! It was a fun game and that terrain was treacherous! I will give credit to your tactics, however. You knew when to go for it and when to pull back and be defensive. It was a fun game and I look forward to my chance at redemption!

    ReplyDelete
  2. De nada, mi amigo. I look forward to the next game as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...